If you live in an area with a Piggly Wiggly you are familiar with the concept of “Pig Points”. For those of you who are not able to Shop the Pig, it’s simple. Each week there are certain items that will earn you points if you buy them. These points translate to money off at the gas station. Every year we go to a week long family reunion that is a 4 hourdrive from home and I make it my goal to earn enough pig points to pay for the gas for the trip. Compulsive? Yes. Long story short, I ended up with a bag of granny smith apples because it earned me $0.11 in pig points. My opportunity to use these points came this past Saturday when my baby was taking a nap and my 5 year old was all over me the way only a five year old can be. I put on a Disney movie, bought myself some time, and made jam.
I got this recipe from Mrs Whellbarrow’s Kitchen.
- 4 cups of diced apples packed firmly
- 2 Tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 box pectin
- 4 c white sugar
- 1 c firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp butter
- Add water in between the apple pieces to fill to four cups
- Put the apples, water, lemon juice and spices in a pan and sprinkle pectin over the fruit. Stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a full rolling boil.
- Add both sugar, stir well and bring back up to a full rolling boil for exactly one minute stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter. Remove and foam that remains.
- Ladle into hot clean jars leaving 1/4″ of headspace.
- Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.